Spring is here, and you may feel the urge to throw open your windows and scrub the floors. But while you’re at it, have you thought about your career? Here are three easy steps you can take today in order to freshen up your career goals.
- Tidy up your profile. While you’re cleaning out the fireplace, don’t forget to take a look at your social media presence as well.
- Update your LinkedIn profile with any big accomplishments from the previous year. Also, consider paring down your contacts to include those people you actually know or can add value to your career.
- Unfollow Twitter accounts that are no longer productive or enlightening. Replace them with new accounts that prove inspirational or insightful to you and your personal and professional interests.
- Check any other social media accounts to make sure there’s nothing there that you wouldn’t want a potential employer to see.
- Dust off your resume. A stellar resume can help you land your dream job. So when you trade your sweaters for shorts, pull up your latest credentials and give them a fresh look.
- Add any recent accomplishments or positions, including community involvement, to the top of your document.
- Consider adjusting previous entries to use active verbs and numbers to show results. A prospective employer wants to know what you can bring to the team and quantitative success as opposed to generic statements can go a long way.
- Large companies often use computers to screen resumes for particular phrases they’re looking for, so use ones that relate to your skills and expertise.
- Stay Relevant. Want to be a top candidate in the job market? While you’re updating your home décor to reflect the season, make plans to keep your name out there and your skills up to date.
- Network with others in your field, both within and outside your organization.
- Take continuing education classes on subjects that will enhance your current skill set, or consider learning a new skill that will take your career to the next level.
- Are you an expert at something in your organization, such as a software program or a particular process? Share your knowledge by holding an in-house training session or webinar. Taking the lead on what you do best will be sure to impress others.
So what are you waiting for? Add the steps above to your spring cleaning calendar as well, and you’ll be ready to meet your career goals for the months ahead.